start transaction
modify record
cancel/validate transaction

my experience is:
if the record is changed, or any (loaded) related record is changed
those records are locked to other users until the transaction is
completed. It does not matter about triggers, or on data change.

Invoice, and invoice item
- Invoice item is changed, which changes a total on the invoice
both are locked to other users, until the transaction is completed.