Hi Doug,

>My reason for posting this message is to solicit feedback on the pros and cons
>of moving
>an existing system to a virtual environment. The IT department at a client
>site is pushing
>a client to virtualize their 4D system and I've been asked to provide input.

>In a short, my understanding is that 4D can work well in a virtual environment
>providing
>that the VM is configured for OLTP. The hallmarks of that configuration
>appears to be
>use of SSD's as the primary drives, apparently acting in a caching function,
>and as well
>as optimization to support small block transfers (2k? 8k?).

It's works great, especially if, as you've stated, sufficient resources are
allocated to 4D. That really is the key. Also, make sure that the primary
resources are dedicated to 4D. VM is extremely smart and, unless specifically
told not to, will divert resources away from 'idle' applications. So if 4D
Server is 'quiet' for a period of time, it may 'lose' it's priority with
respect to resources (CPUs, caches, SSDs etc) and performance will go down the
tube. And it may take 10-15 minutes for those resources to be 'moved' back to
4D Server, once 4D activity resumes. This can be avoided by dedicating
resources.

The other key is to have lots of experience with VM management and
configuration in the IT team. Hopefully, your app is not going to be their
first VM. Also, if they say they are doing it to save money on hardware, be
very suspicious. Enterprize grade VM hardware is extremely expensive. The
savings is in the flexibility, fault tolerance and redundancy it provides.
Adding a server is a task measured in minutes rather than days. Moving a server
is a completely transparent operation done while the wheels are spinning. It's
really quite remarkable.

We have a 250 user 150 GB 4D Server fully virtualized. Along with a number of
Test and Dev servers. It pretty much just works. One thing we still use
hardware for is monthly data file compacts (via MSC). The VM system isn't
optimized for that kind of activity evidently. Other than that, it works great.

HTH,

Tom Benedict
Optum