On 15 Apr 2017, at 09:49, rooftop99--- via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Where could I go to see samples of what folks are doing with 4D which brings
> the UI into the modern era? Any thoughts?

Doesn’t the O/S define ‘modern era’ ?

If you stick to vanilla 4D objects (i.e. just the raw button styles, list
styles & fields etc) then the O/S will do all the work for you in keeping your
screens up to date.

The only area I can think of where there’s room for creativity in this area is
in toolbar icons. I find those a real headache because it’s very difficult to
get hold of a set that’s:

A. intended for desktop, not web
B. comprehensive enough to cover all you need and doesn’t need too much
Photoshop ‘hacking’
C. works on both Windows and Mac
D. covers at least 2 sizes - standard and ‘tiny’

Things to avoid:

Ambiguity (e.g. colour coded text)
Redundancy (e.g. buttons with both an icon AND a label)
Multiple Emphasis (e.g. giving priority to more than 1 function on a form)

As a general rule of thumb, the less distinguishable from the MacOS itself (or
the Windows OS if thats your preferred) the more you know you’ve got the right
solution.

Regards

Peter