Hi Kirk,

> On 16 May 2017, at 24:59 AEST, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <4d_tech@lists.4d.com>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks much for taking the time to share. The immediate situation I'm
> trying to work with isn't as formally hierarchical as your example plus I
> need to exclude 'restricted' data from even Read Only. I'm managing the
> table & field access separately. ie. permission to even see a given table
> is restricted by one's user group. Same idea is applied to fields within
> the table. The mechanism is very similar to the one you illustrate.
>
> What I'm honing now is how to identify specific records that may or may not
> be accessible and efficiently manage them. Your experience is confirming my
> initial take.

For the restrictions to a complete record in a table introduce a LongInt field
to every table.

I call mine always “xStatus” and if it is set to “1” then it will be
interpreted as "not deleted” record.
So, LongInt gives you a couple of numbers you can use to define the status of a
record. ;-)

As for specific field restrictions use a table called [xFieldInfo] and hold the
parameters for every field in every table in it.

Of the fop of my head, use a LongInt field “AccessLevel” in [xFieldInfo] and
think about how Unix handles ownership/access rights:

        User    Group   Other
READ     4         4      4
Write    2         2      2
EXECUTE  1         1      1

With "chmod 777” you’ll give everyone everything.

Nice idea actually I might implement something like this myself, but not that
early, on an empty stomach and with no caffein in the system. ;-)

Cheers
Jörg