I am examining a Windows 7 4D v12.5 database.

The Compatibility tab in Database Settings indicates that the database is in
"Compatibility mode".

See https://s10.postimg.org/7cx58znuh/compatibility_unicode_mode.png

Knowledge Base article #50076 "Unicode Mode vs. Compatibility Mode" says:

"The behavior of 4D in 'Compatibility mode' is the same as in previous versions
of 4D. That is, all text data is treated as if 4D is still using the MacRoman
ASCII character set."

So it appears that the character set being used in "Compatibility Mode" is
MacRoman ASCII.

QUESTIONS

1) What happens to the existing text data in records (and indexes) if I
check-mark "Unicode" in the Compatibility tab?

2) Will all text data in records (and also indexes) be automatically converted
to Unicode?

3) How do I convert the existing text data in records (and indexes) to Unicode?