I ran into a problem with the PHP execute code, it was throwing an
error, I do not know exactly why, and of course
I can't get it to repeat now to capture the error message...

Also it was a bit slower. replacing (for capital letters)
Char(Random%($CapEnd-$CapStart+1))+$CapStart) -- (656 seconds for
100,000)
with
PHP Execute("";"mt_rand";$Result;$CapStart;$Capend) -- (709 seconds for
100,000)
Char($Result)

resulted in an approximately 10% increase in execution time over
100,000 iterations.
Also..
for this type of usage - I am not sure that it really matters.
1 - we are significantly restricting the random number range

2 - Since this is for passwords, all that really matters is that it is
better then "1111"  :)

On Mon, 26 Jun 2017 14:46:36 -0400, Jim Medlen via 4D_Tech wrote:

> Tim,
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I think that my method was based on your original tech note
> http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76055
>
> I found the PHP command mt_rand which generates a random number using
> Mersenne Twister.
> This function was recommended on several web pages regarding random number
> generators.
>
> Using vbOK:=PHP Execute("";"mt_rand";vi1;1;36) in place of
> vi1:=(Random%35)+1 works well.
>
> It is fast and has not created any collisions with existing passwords in
> initial testing.
>
> vText:=""
>       vtSet:="abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789"
>
> For (vi2;1;8)
>                         //vi1:=(Random%35)+1
>                       vbOK:=PHP Execute("";"mt_rand";vi1;1;36)  // Mersenne
> Twister
>                       vText:=vText+vtSet[[vi1]]
>               End for
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim Medlen
> Computer & Information Systems
> Functional Devices, Inc.
> j.med...@functionaldevices.com
> phone (765) 883-5538 x 428
> fax (765) 883-4262
> http://www.functionaldevices.com
> This email was transmitted on 100 percent recycled electrons
>

> Confidentiality Notice:
> to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, you are hereby notified that your access is unauthorized,
> and any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message
> including any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you are not the
> intended recipient, please contact the sender at (800) 888-5538 and
> permanently delete the original and any copy including printed copies
> of this e-mail and any attachments.
>

> On 6/26/17, 12:54 PM, "Timothy Penner" <tpen...@4d.com> wrote:
>
>>> Is the 4D Random function considered a good random number generator ?
>>
>> It's OK, it produces a 15-bit random number between 1 and 32,767.
>> If you need numbers above 32,767 you can use this:
>> http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77777
>>
>> If the built in command doesn't meet your need then you can use PHP (like
>> David said).
>>
>> There is also this plugin: https://github.com/miyako/4d-plugin-PRNG
>>
>>> I concatenate 8 characters to build a ³random² password which then has
>>> to meet a few simple rules.
>>
>> I wrote this tech tip 7 years ago, maybe it will help:
>> http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76055
>>
>> -Tim PENNER
>>

>> Timothy Penner
>> Technical Services Engineer