I bought Navicat 11 a few months ago after they made some nice improvements in
the SQL editor. I thought it was the most Mac friendly of any PostgreSQL tools.
Shortly thereafter Navicat 12 was released. I'm pretty sure it is not Java, but
I think they switched to some other GUI library to make their cross platform
work easier. It seems not as Mac friendly and I think they did some other
things to make it less usable. I have version 12, but I'm still using version
11. They seem to be receptive to feedback, so you might send them some comments
on why you think their Mac implementation looks like it is done in Java.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.