I've found that after hours "helper" routines that fire off and run in the
> background working through data to flag dupes for admin oversight next
day is
> popular with some managers who prefer to make their own decision about
whether
> some stuff really is a dupe or not. Some duplicate data has to be
eliminated
> "right now" before the record is saved; whereas some might be interesting
> investigate a little more in depth. The whys and wherefores --what caused
it,
> who caused it, where did it come from, and why, is it legit or a real
mistake;
> such questions can often lead to better processes, better training, better
> form design, better import provisioning, or better import pre-cleaning,
etc.
> It all depends on the project and biz needs.

Nicely described. Human judgement is pretty important or critical with some
"duplicate" row choices. Says the guy with a name so common he's seen his
name taken of a flight manifest because they already had one David Adams on
board. Man, that guy sucks. Absolutely agree about the training benefits of
*quick* feedback on duplicates. You run a scan at night, find a list of
possible duplicates and then can go and find the person responsible. Like
you said, the perfect opportuity for better data entry tools ("Oh, the big
screen is too hard to enter when we get a phone call, so we always just add
a new customr record"), better training (see previous) and, hopefully,
better communications amongst everyone involved.