I thought I would share this real world experience in regard to data, as it is
somewhat humorous, but not for the people in the back seat.

Long long ago, in another country, I was a police member patrolling the
downtown streets of a city in economic boom circumstances. There were lots and
lots of young males from across the country in the city spending their money on
things that too many young men spend their money on. As would be the case many
of these young men would find themselves in the backseat of police cars all
across the city.

As part of the process we needed to make a decision to release with a piece of
paper OR haul down to jail.

Part of that process involved a search on the national criminal data base. We
could have ID in front of us (i.e. Driver’s License), or they would just give
us a name. The search would be performed based on name and date of birth. With
frequent regularity there would be a hit of a warrant out for the person. Some
were 50 mile radius (get out of town and don’t come back warrants from 1000
miles away), or we want him back to face justice.

Of course we would ask - why did you lie to us. You have been in trouble, there
are warrants for your arrest. The description matches close enough (eye colour,
hair). Back then tattoos were not so popular so they were good identifiers. Of
course they can be changed - so they would only give more confidence of a right
identification.

Off to jail we would head, with our back seat occupant complaining that it is
not him.

Check him in past the jail sgt. and away we go. We would find out after his
finger prints were taken that he was telling the truth - it was not him.

This would happen with some regularity. In a country of (at that time of only
24 million) I would have this happen about once a month, and there were 1100
police in the city.

So even data with the same name (First + Middle + Last) and same Date of Birth
can correctly be different data when dealing with people. The records were not
duplicates in looking at the finger print data, but back then (and even now)
that is not something they can capture in the cars. Could they - yes but there
are laws about taking people’s finger prints.

On a side note:
A few years later I developed a photo ID lineup system that was rejected
because it was written in house, and I wrote it on a Macintosh instead of
MS-DOS.

Jody Bevan
ARGUS Productions Inc.
Developer