From: 4D_Tech [mailto:4d_tech-boun...@lists.4d.com] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Kain
via 4D_Tech
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2017 10:06 AM
To: 4d_tech@lists.4d.com
Cc: Jeffrey Kain <jeffrey.k...@gmail.com>
Subject: 4D server "pausing" every 15 minutes

I just made a very interesting discovery and thought I'd share it with the
group -- it's timely given the recent blog post by 4D about dashboards.

We're huge fans of dashboards here at Sweetwater, and our dashboard tool of
choice is Prometheus. We use this on all our major servers -- Exchange,
Postgres, MySQL, and others.  We decided to add our 4D Server to the mix. This
server is a 24-core Dell server running Windows Server 2012 Datacenter, and it
hosts, at peak, around 540 simultaneous 4D users and around 3000-3500 4D
processes. It runs great and it is extremely stable.

For the 4D Server dashboard, we feed certain statistics directly from 4D via a
SQL function call (poor-man's web service), and we recently installed the
Prometheus wmi_exporter tool which exports operating system-related data from
the Windows Management Instrumentation Service (WmiPrvSE.exe) into Prometheus
format.  The wmi_exporter tool is very fast and you have to look fast to see it
consume any resources at all, but when it is running, the Microsoft
WmiPrvSe.exe process periodically wakes up and consumes 4% of our 24-core
server for 10-12 seconds. This happens about once every 15 minutes.

When this is happening, 4D Server slows to a crawl. Clients start to
beach-ball, pause, or have their network connections broken and throw runtime
errors. Some astute users actually noticed this 15 minute cycle, and after I
dug into it it turns out that is exactly the case and is 100% reproducible.

We had the dashboard turned on all day Tuesday, and we received dozens of
support tickets from users complaining about slow performance in 4D. On
Wednesday, we ran without the seemingly harmless wmi_exporter service enabled,
and we didn't receive a single support ticket.

My guess is that wmi_exporter may be asking for a particular statistic that
takes Windows a significant amount of time to collect. We may try to scale it
back and turn our measured statistics on one by one until we can determine the
problem. But until then, we can live without the dashboard (beautiful as it was
on the 60-inch 4K display...).

Jeff