an SVG picture has a "rendering tree", which is the backend of the displayed
image.
it also has a "dom tree", which is the parsed xml structure in memory.

SVG SET ATTRIBUTES with no optional * works on the rendering tree,
which is useful if you want to alter the image in a "volatile" way.
for example, in the context of an editor, you might want to use this while the
use is trying to move, resize, or draw an object.

SVG SET ATTRIBUTES with optional * works on the dom tree, as well as the
rendering tree,
which is useful if you want to alter the image in a way that "sticks".

if you keep your own dom reference to periodically recreate the picture with
SVG EXPORT TO PICTURE (copy)
then you have a third tree, a backend dom tree.
in that case you can't use the "4d-text" pseudo svg attribute,
you have to work on the xml directly.