Chip's right about server-side code not needing network bandwidth. I was
jumbling a few of my stories unclearly. Yes, we're starting with
server-side only process getting logged, but that will change. Once you
want to keep error, access, and event logs and tie them together, it's nice
to be able to log from the client side as well. I'm planning ahead a bit
here.

> doesn't have to be that way; you can have a local external database on
the client side.

If I'm going to use an external database, it's going to be Postgres. 4D has
given every appearance of abandoning further work on their SQL "support",
so I'm not going to base any designs on what amounts to a dead-end feature.
Sorry :( I liked the idea of SQL in 4D and loved the idea of external
database. But, for what it's worth, they're no usable from preemptive
processes anyway, so...

> but I am slightly puzzled how LOG EVENT is in the spotlight.

I brought it up because that's one way to get events to Loggly. Loggly
describes itself as an "agentless" service. Which just means "we use system
agents and don't provide our own." So, LOG EVENT should work. File that
under "commands I've never used". So I wasn't even clear if it was a sane
idea to ask for a preemptive-safe version. Seems like it should be. If it
isn't, I'll just put that idea out of my mind forever.

> preemptively logging can make things more complicated,

My basic design with a preemptive worker collecting log events in memory
centrally and pushing them out to a disk file is *entirely* normal. This is
what high-volume Web servers do. Probably anyone that's done a lot of
working thought of the same design *instantly* when they heard about CALL
WORKER. It's just that obvious. The only reason I can't do this is because
of a *crashing server bug* in 4D. As far as I can tell. So, good design,
proven design, sensible design...doesn't work. Doesn't work....with extreme
prejudice.

> a new ID was introduced because preemptive multi-line logs can be
interwoven.
Not sure which ID that is, but I'm planning on using the unique ID from
PROCESS PROPERTIES and a unified timeline to tie together events from
different logs related to the same process.