Peter,
You know Chuck is right - letting user's store stuff in Resources is
problematic. I'm working on something right now where I came across this.
In my case I'm letting users created button icons. Such files can only be
referenced by buttons only when they are in the Resources folder. But the
resources folder can be rebuilt especially if you have your database
packaged or on 4D server and the user would 'loose' their files. I decided
to use the Active 4D folder to store a backup of the files in question
because I don't want the user to have to think about it. On startup the
database looks there and copies any missing files to the local Resources
folder.

Perhaps you could do something similar? This would allow users to store
their files wherever they like, so long as the database knows about it, and
check the files are synced at startup.

--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*