On Oct 25, 2017, at 11:38 AM, Keith White wrote:

> Wondered if you saw my guess/conjecture previously posted on this subject
> (not that it's much help !)...:-
>
> OK, so we think this is due to DELAY PROCESS.
>
> The change to DELAY PROCESS somewhere in 4D v15 was to change from a Longint
> to Real.  But the problems didn't start until v16, I think that's right.
>
> Anyway, I'm wondering if the problem is when either Tickcount, Milliseconds
> or another internal 4D time measure overflows into negative territory.  I
> have no idea internally what measure 4D uses for DELAY PROCESS, nor what data
> type they use internally for it, but what if they aren't taking account of
> the overflow when the measure value goes from a large positive number to a
> large negative.
>
> That could explain the large time period before the problem reoccurs??
>
> Just throwing an idea out there.  We've only just jumped from v13 to v16R4,
> which means we don't have v16 out in production land yet, so we haven't yet
> seen this problem occur.

I think you are on to something Keith. I had the exact same thoughts about this
problem. A change from tick count to millisecond and the change from C_LONGINT
values in DELAY PROCESS to C_REAL. Probably also related to internal scheduling
system changes connected to support preemptive processes now. They had to do
some major low level programming changes to make all of this work.

This is how a programming forum is supposed to work. People contributing ideas
and sharing experiences. I think we are getting close to nailing down where 4D
engineers need to look to solve this problem.

Somebody needs to forward this email chain to 4D engineering. Hopefully Tim
Penner can do this and get 4D engineering motivated to stop waiting for a demo
database that reproduces this problem and have somebody go do a code review
looking for something that doesn’t look quite right.

Tim

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions
785-749-3444