The thinking behind this recommendation, as I understand it, goes like this:

macOS has its own cache system.
backup creates a large file.
the system cache the large file to improve access speed the next time (which
typically never happens, by the way).
free system memory runs out.
4D Server asks for some memory.
the system does all sorts of things (compression, paging, whatever) to "create"
free memory. this takes time.
4D Server is waiting.
4D Client disconnects.

"purge" (which is not installed by default and requires sudo) is a developer
tool that forced the system to let go of cached files.

so to answer your question, the backup database method does run on the server,
not client,
but that does not mean that it has no effect on the performance of connected
clients.