I would quit 4D server, delete preferences and recreate using menu commands
re backup. Perhaps that us trhe problem. Also check where the backup is
going to if a HD try a different location

Regards and hiope this helps
Chuck

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Jim Crate via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> On Nov 14, 2017, at 9:40 AM, Perkins, Bradley D via 4D_Tech <
> 4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:
>
> > What should I try next? Start with a new backup? Reinstall 4D?
>
> Personally, I would take the easy way out and change the script that is
> supposed to quit/restart 4D to something like:
>
> killall -9 4D
>
> which will not be deterred by error alerts or processes that are not
> responding to normal signals.
>
> If there are problems because 4D was quit by the OS instead of being asked
> nicely, follow it up with a full system restart, although that will require
> running the script with root privileges (probably not a problem, just run
> the killing part using cron as root, and the restarting part using launchd
> as the 4D user).
>
> Side story: my client was running v15 Server on macOS 10.12, and suffering
> from mass client disconnects. As the number of users approached 25, 3 or 4
> times per day 10-15 users would be disconnected from the server at once,
> with no consistency among users disconnected. While trouble-shooting, I ran
> a constant ping from another server to the 4D server, which shows several
> seconds of dropped packets corresponding to disconnect events. I then ran a
> ping on the 4D machine to another server, and had no more disconnect events
> (until someone restarted the computer and didn’t restart the ping command
> in Terminal). Obviously 4D wasn’t “fixed”; something in 4D server was
> killing the network stack in some way and all that code was being executed
> the same way as before. However, the actual problem went away and that’s
> really all that mattered.
>
> Note to self: perhaps an automated weekly restart of 4D Server is the
> trick to avoiding the occasional v16x DELAY PROCESS hang.  When a hammer
> works, might as well use it.
>
> Jim Crate

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
          http://www.informed-solutions.com
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.