After this discussion I ran a test server for several weeks before upgrading
from 15.4 to 16.3 (Mac 64 bit). No problem running jobs on the server
interleaved with DELAY PROCESS. After upgrading the production database to
16.3, a client running this same procedure regularly locks up. It seems to be
related to backup. The client is frozen and appears to be no longer connected
to the server (no process in the admin window). The server no longer sees it in
GET REGISTERED CLIENTS.

I'm going to try adjusting this procedure to ensure it does nothing during
backup and see if that fixes it.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.