On Jan 15, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Wayne Stewart wrote:

> I'm trying to create a method that will return a file size as a string,
> similar to how the Finder does.
>
> Although I get "a result" it's not the "same result" as reported in the
> Finder :(
>
> It turns out that in the Finder KB are 1000 bytes, MB are 1000 KB etc.
>
> I wasted a fair bit of time on this !

Yes, a kilobyte is 1,024 bytes and it used to be if you saw “K” that was a
kilobyte. I guess now the standard is a “K” is 1,000. I remember learning this
in college back in the 80’s. And a MB was 1,024 * 1,024 back then too.

Didn’t this also have something to do with how hard drive manufacturers were
reporting drive sizes. People thought they were getting ripped off for some
bytes when it was really just a terminology issue. Then Apple decided to change
to match what the hard drive people were doing. Does anyone else remember it
like this?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3071175

Tim

Tim Nevels