On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 6:39 PM, Kenneth Geiger via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> If any of you have done something similar, I would really appreciate any
> feedback on my approach and would welcome any suggestions, pseudo-code, or
> code that you would be willing to share.

We did something similar,  and I would add few comments:

It seems that modern systems does not have problems with huge amount of
files in folders, so we do only two level structure - one for each client
and inside all client's files.

We store small preview of the document (500 x 500) in data file, compressed
it is few kB, but with lot of documents, database grows pretty fast (we
have instances of ~20GB files.)

We implemented preview of documents of individual client as a (scrollable)
SVG pictures build from data from database - preview, name, size, creation
date etc. Seems to work well even for large number of files, however we had
to handle such action as selection highlighting, D&D etc. We tested picture
arrays displayed by ALP and specialized plugins but this works for us quite
well.

Situation become more complex when user wants to edit stored documents in
third party applications. I have not found a good solution how to find out
when user ended editing. Ended up  displaying small dialog where user
clicks when has finished editing and then code moves document back to
storage.

--
Peter Bozek