it's possible to install in non-standard locations, more specifically,
arbitrary sub-directories.
it's possible to install/launch multiple version of Office on the same computer,
It's possible to install select items out of the Office suite.

so the request must be define more specifically.

---

if you are interested in the default (as preferred by launch services)
"Microsoft Excel"
then I guess you could do something like

mdfind 'kMDItemDisplayName="Microsoft Excel"'

and then use the path like

mdls -name kMDItemVersion '/Applications/Microsoft Excel.app'

https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/mdfind.1.html
https://developer.apple.com/library/content/documentation/CoreServices/Reference/MetadataAttributesRef/Reference/CommonAttrs.html

my question is, why do you need to know the version?