No longer needed in v16.  A compact will reorganize the data file, and then do
a complete reindex.

We do our compacts on 4D Server 64-bit on Windows. We do it on a machine that
has enough RAM so that the cache never gets used up. Since version 16 and the
latest new-and-improved cache manager on Windows, there's a huge performance
problem when 4D has to release memory from the cache.

Another approach we took once when we didn't have enough RAM on the compacting
machine to prevent a cache purge, since it was a very fast SSD we set the cache
size to be far higher than the installed memory.  This forced some paging at
the end of the process, but this was far faster on an SSD than letting 4D try
to slowly release memory.

You might have better luck on a late R-release in v15, which has the old cache
manager. Or on a Mac.