By "no longer needed" I was referring to Chip's suggestion of reindexing with
SQL.  Prior to v15R-release indexes were built in creation order, which made
horrible use of the cache.  Now it goes in table order which makes it MUCH
faster on a large data file.

I think I understand the problem you're describing - it's not something I've
experienced.  The cache should definitely be used once it gets to the indexing
part. I don't think cache is used in the initial rebuilding part.