If in doubt I would vote for a rewrite, even more if the old application is
poor
designed. We struggle from time to time with problems caused by using legacy
4D code. E.g. sometimes there were assumptions made in the past regarding
performance they are nowadays simply wrong and are causing now performance
problems even more.
And new code written by yourself you are able to understand. You can use your
conventions and rules of developing. In my experience old code is usually poor
or wrong commented and often because of its complexity there is some effort to
understand and fix it.
But if you are quite sure you have to move the whole thing to a new version
only and you don't have to touch it anymore in the future, so you can migrate
it only. But these assumptions are wrong in the most cases, this is at least my
experience.

So IMHO it's better to bite the bullet and build a new one from scratch.

Only my 2 cents ...

Regards

--
Lutz Epperlein
Agendo Gesellschaft für politische Planung mbH