In this situation, I use Code Analysis is to find out what code has changed due
to the upgrade to a newer version of 4D.

Here is an example.
I am moving a structure from v16 to v17 and I want to know all the changes that
occur.
In v16, I use the Code Analysis component to export all the methods.
I upgrade the structure to v17
I then use the Code Analysis component to compare my v17 structure to the
previously exported v16 code.
From this I can see all the command changes and any other changes.

This is helpful for you to understand any changes that you were not aware of. I
ran into an update that happened during a v16 R release that changed the blank
date format from !00/00/00! to !00/00/0000!. It broke some parsing that I was
doing and I was able to catch it early.

The component will not change any of your code. So the work of dealing with the
_o_ must done by you, the developer.

Personally, I prefer to do the work to deal with the “_o_” code manually. It
forces me to be a bit more deliberate and it avoids unexpected issues. Prior to
doing that I make sure I do a code export using Code Analysis and then I do a
code compare and verify each method that the only change that I made was to
deal with the _o_ calls. Once I am happy, I export the code again and then I
can continue on with the next chunk.

I have been using GitHub to track changes on the exported code. I have projects
that go back years that are in GitHub. Super useful when I need to diagnosis an
issue and find out when a particular change was made.

Dani Beaubien
Open Road Development