> What does this accomplish? It allows us to keep a record of changes (but no
> smooth way to revert changes, and no way to track form changes).

As I mentioned earlier (not in this thread) we use the component vc_framework
initiated by Josh Fletcher some time ago. This component is able to export
forms too, since V14.
And regarding the handling of reverts, we implemented a way to import changes
in the VCS repositories. You can find more at
https://github.com/elutz/vc-framework-v17
The process is a bit cumbersome since you have to do an extra step after
checking out the changes from VCS to get them into 4D. But we use it on
regular base with success the last years. One remark: We don't do an import of
forms, we use it only for methods of all kinds.

> We are also excitedly anticipating better support for version control!

There are feature requests, i.e. look here
http://forums.4d.com/Post/DE/1356010/1/1356011
At least the possibility to export in V17R3 looks promising, but this only
half the way.

Regards
Lutz Epperlein