my understanding is that in the old days,
the window ref (int) in the plugin SDK used to be just a type case of carbon
windowRef (a C pointer).

in 64-bit you can't just cast an address (64-bit) to int, the value would
overflow.
so the references are now mapped internally to real pointers (around v14).

MDI is a different issue.

because v16.0 beta or v16R and v17 are Altura-free,
the old get-HWND(0) method to get its reference does not work.

so a new entry point 719 was added in v16.

https://github.com/miyako/4d-plugin-window-control
https://github.com/miyako/4d-plugin-mdi

see also

https://github.com/miyako/4d-plugin-activate