Hi All,

This App is running under both Mac/Windows 4D v17R4...

You might recall, a week ago or so, that I was soliciting help with creating an
engined based 4D App. I figured that part out (although certification later).
What I am finding baffling is how much slower the engine runs on windows versus
on my MacBook Pro. When I say slower I seeing the Mac being 3-4 times faster in
various scenarios.

Part of the speed differentials might be a special plugin that the App uses.
The plugin was created using Xcode for the Mac and Visual Studio (v15 I think)
for windows. I’ll have to create special test to compare and see. The SVG
drawing is slower; the searching in a database seems much slower.

A special search routine, which requires calls to the plugin, took 1 minute 4
seconds on the Mac and the same thing on window took over 4 minutes - compiled.
BTW, the same routine running as source on the Mac took 3 minutes 41 seconds
and on window took 10 minutes and 46 seconds (over twice as slow). Maybe the
windows version of the plugin (there’s both a 32bit and a 64bit) has some other
setting which can optimize it?

FWIW, I have been trying to get by using as much of native 4D as I can and as
little of the plugin as is required. I might have to reconsider this and move
some of this work from 4D into the C++ plugin since calculating in the plugin
it’s so much faster…

On the Mac side:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
System Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G1618)

 Processor Name:        Intel Core i7
 Processor Speed:       2.8 GHz
 Number of Processors:  1
 Total Number of Cores: 4
 L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
 L3 Cache:      6 MB
 Memory:        16 GB

On Windows:

HP Notebook x64-bassed PC
System Version: Windows 10 Home (10.0.17134)

 Processor Name:        Intel Core i3-6100U
 Processor Speed:       2.30 GHz
 Number of Processors:  4 logical
 Memory:        8 GB {not sure if I can add more?}

My past experience has been that it’s usually slower on the Mac and much faster
on windows. But these are different times. Both the Mac and Windows have
Bitdefender running for security. (It’s probable that there are other programs
running on windows I am unaware of).

This single user standalone app will be marketed to a client base which will
not have necessarily have the fastest equipment. So anything I can do - not
necessarily hardware based - to speed things up will be helpful.

For those of you who work on both modern Macs and Windows what is your
experience in terms of speed comparison?

When I move a database over from a Mac to a windows do I need to throw all the
indexes away and have them rebuilt? {I don’t think so since if it were running
via 4D Server wouldn’t be an issue}

Are there steps you’ve taken that sped things up?

I might have to work with 4D’s profiler and some other test to determine the
bottlenecks. Way too slow!

Thanks for your feedback,
John…