what is the drive in both. Perhaps Mac has SSD and windows has slow HD

Regards

Chuck

On Fri, Mar 8, 2019 at 3:51 PM John J Foster via 4D_Tech
<4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> This App is running under both Mac/Windows 4D v17R4...
>
> You might recall, a week ago or so, that I was soliciting help with creating
> an engined based 4D App. I figured that part out (although certification
> later). What I am finding baffling is how much slower the engine runs on
> windows versus on my MacBook Pro. When I say slower I seeing the Mac being
> 3-4 times faster in various scenarios.
>
> Part of the speed differentials might be a special plugin that the App uses.
> The plugin was created using Xcode for the Mac and Visual Studio (v15 I
> think) for windows. I’ll have to create special test to compare and see. The
> SVG drawing is slower; the searching in a database seems much slower.
>
> A special search routine, which requires calls to the plugin, took 1 minute 4
> seconds on the Mac and the same thing on window took over 4 minutes -
> compiled. BTW, the same routine running as source on the Mac took 3 minutes
> 41 seconds and on window took 10 minutes and 46 seconds (over twice as slow).
> Maybe the windows version of the plugin (there’s both a 32bit and a 64bit)
> has some other setting which can optimize it?
>
> FWIW, I have been trying to get by using as much of native 4D as I can and as
> little of the plugin as is required. I might have to reconsider this and move
> some of this work from 4D into the C++ plugin since calculating in the plugin
> it’s so much faster…
>
> On the Mac side:
>
> MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015)
> System Version: macOS 10.12.6 (16G1618)
>
>  Processor Name:        Intel Core i7
>  Processor Speed:       2.8 GHz
>  Number of Processors:  1
>  Total Number of Cores: 4
>  L2 Cache (per Core):   256 KB
>  L3 Cache:      6 MB
>  Memory:        16 GB
>
> On Windows:
>
> HP Notebook x64-bassed PC
> System Version: Windows 10 Home (10.0.17134)
>
>  Processor Name:        Intel Core i3-6100U
>  Processor Speed:       2.30 GHz
>  Number of Processors:  4 logical
>  Memory:        8 GB {not sure if I can add more?}
>
> My past experience has been that it’s usually slower on the Mac and much
> faster on windows. But these are different times. Both the Mac and Windows
> have Bitdefender running for security. (It’s probable that there are other
> programs running on windows I am unaware of).
>
> This single user standalone app will be marketed to a client base which will
> not have necessarily have the fastest equipment. So anything I can do - not
> necessarily hardware based - to speed things up will be helpful.
>
> For those of you who work on both modern Macs and Windows what is your
> experience in terms of speed comparison?
>
> When I move a database over from a Mac to a windows do I need to throw all
> the indexes away and have them rebuilt? {I don’t think so since if it were
> running via 4D Server wouldn’t be an issue}
>
> Are there steps you’ve taken that sped things up?

> [...]

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
          http://www.informed-solutions.com
This message and any attached documents contain information which may
be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution,
disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of
any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.
Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended
recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality,
privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.