Doug,
I believe you want to use the On after keystroke form event on the listbox
(or the column) and the Get edited text function. Get edited text returns
the text that's being edited before it's saved to the object it's edited
in.

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 8:35 AM Doug Cottrill via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I’m trying to implement a type-ahead feature in an array listbox cell.
>
> I have this functionality in a form variable, and it works great- when the
> user types, code in the on after edit finds the first record value in a
> field that matches the first few characters, fills in the rest, and
> highlights the new characters so that if the user continues typing the item
> found can be replaced.
>
> The problem I’m having is that apparently in a listbox, you cannot call
> highlight text on a cell to highlight partial text.
>
> So, first off- am I correct that HIGHLIGHT TEXT will not work in a
> listbox?  If it WILL work, can someone post code since mine is not working,
> and it “should” as far as I can tell, but the docs say it will not work in
> a subform field.  I don’t know if a listbox qualifies or not, but it seems
> to.
>
> Second, assuming that HIGHLIGHT TEXT does NOT work in a listbox, how are
> others doing type-ahead in a list box?  Surely I’m not the first person to
> want to do this?
>
> Thanks

What can be said, can be said clearly,
and what you can’t say, you should shut up about

*Wittgenstein and the Computer *