I maybe already asked this question, but anyway I am still a bit confused:

I wanted to use DIALOG with * as an additional parameter, but have problem
to make it work. I have app that display several info windows - like
palettes, progress messages, communication statuses etc.Currently, I often
need 2 processes for each task: one does the work as background task,
another display it status / progress.  So instead of running a separate
process for each window, why not to use one process that will display
whatever windows application wants to display? Or display status from
inside background process that do communication or lengthy task.

My original idea was to call

OPEN FORM WINDOW
DIALOG(;*)
PAUSE PROCESS

but that does not work, as the process execution is "standing" at PAUSE
PROCESS and no code is executed (and CALL FORM is either not executed or
window is not redrawn.)

When I remove PAUSE PROCESS, process ends and DIALOG window is closed.

According to documentation, it would work of I do
OPEN FORM WINDOW
DIALOG(;*)
DIALOG()

but that is quite ugly, and would cause some problems, as I want the
process that calls DIALOG(;*) periodically evaluate which windows are open
and close itself if none.

Another possibility is just to open window and call DIALOG(), then call
DIALOG(;*) from inside the form method of the first DIALOG() form. That
would (probably) work, form can use On timer event to check what is open,
open additional dialogs etc. but I do not like the idea either.

Is there a way how to use DIALOG(;*)  from a process that does not have any
other window open?

Regards,

--

Peter Bozek