peter,
depending on what type of progress you need to display..
Progress Component - part of 4D now - will display either a barber pole
(indeterminate duration) with text above and below, or a progress
thermometer (defined interation count), again with text above and below.

- Both of these run in their own process,
- the text can be updated as needed
- Progress supports (stacked) multiple progress bars, so you can show
overall progress and sub task progress; or multiple tasks
simultaneously.
- It is simple to use  :)

pseudo code:
start progress with messages (giving limits if using thermometer)
start task
 loop over
   do work
   update progress (move thermometer, or change messages)
 end loop
end task
close progress

On Tue, 25 Jun 2019 15:45:11 +0200, Peter Bozek via 4D_Tech wrote:
> I maybe already asked this question, but anyway I am still a bit confused:
>
> I wanted to use DIALOG with * as an additional parameter, but have problem
> to make it work. I have app that display several info windows - like
> palettes, progress messages, communication statuses etc.Currently, I often
> need 2 processes for each task: one does the work as background task,
> another display it status / progress.  So instead of running a separate
> process for each window, why not to use one process that will display
> whatever windows application wants to display? Or display status from
> inside background process that do communication or lengthy task.
>
> My original idea was to call
>
> OPEN FORM WINDOW
> DIALOG(;*)
> PAUSE PROCESS
>
> but that does not work, as the process execution is "standing" at PAUSE
> PROCESS and no code is executed (and CALL FORM is either not executed or
> window is not redrawn.)
>
> When I remove PAUSE PROCESS, process ends and DIALOG window is closed.
>
> According to documentation, it would work of I do
> OPEN FORM WINDOW
> DIALOG(;*)
> DIALOG()
>
> but that is quite ugly, and would cause some problems, as I want the
> process that calls DIALOG(;*) periodically evaluate which windows are open
> and close itself if none.
>
> Another possibility is just to open window and call DIALOG(), then call
> DIALOG(;*) from inside the form method of the first DIALOG() form. That
> would (probably) work, form can use On timer event to check what is open,
> open additional dialogs etc. but I do not like the idea either.
>
> Is there a way how to use DIALOG(;*)  from a process that does not have any
> other window open?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>

> Peter Bozek