Eric:

To get what you have outlined (and much more) you just build your own within
4D. We had to have a very modern password system in our software since before
2000.

We have built our new shell with all of the password control in it. The nice
thing is that the System Administrator gets to set how strict all of these item
are, and which ones are activated. Therefore this permits a small company that
decides they do not care about it, to have very simple password system. They
can then choose to ratchet up the complexity as they need it.

We also implemented that the Administrator can decide if they want to E-Mail
various alerts. That way you can know that someone is having trouble getting
logged in, or that their account was locked out after too many attempts. The
E-Mailing has very many options as well.

All of this information is also saved to logs. Our experience is that system
Admins ignore most things. When there is trouble, then they can go back into
the logs and gather all the information they need.

We also let the administrator click on a button that then passes the login
control to LDAP.

So hopefully you can see that you can roll a very sophisticated system. I did
not describe all the features by a long shot, but it gives you an idea of what
you can do with 4D.

Jody Bevan
Argus Productions Inc.
i...@4dshell.com <mailto:i...@4dshell.com>