Hi

I’m sure this is an age old issue but I thought I’d solicit some opinions on
addressing it in case anyone cares to post their experiences.

The OS level backup is saving the operating system (which nobody cares about)
and trashing 4D (which everybody cares about).

The site runs a mission critical 4D Server under 4D 2004 (it should be getting
retired/replaced with a new 4D system in a month or two) which is under 3rd
party contractural support that includes twice daily backups at OS level. Every
week the server crashes when nobody is using it and I’m cure it’s because of
the Windows backup process conflicting with 4D which has the datafile open. I
think it’s one of these that freezes everything while it backs up and then
“unfreezes” it.

It would be good to have 4D write its own backup to an external drive and than
have the OS backup run on that one instead. But the contractor then feels
exposed contracturally for not backing up the main OS so it’s like talking to a
brick wall.

How do others address this ?

Regards

Peter