Hi All,

I have an application running in a hospital environment for a number of years.
In the light of the increasing awareness of data security, the client’s IT in
their own words are looking at "redoing the whole 4dcis database onto 2 or 3
tier system where there is a database separation from application layer”

The current setup is a v15 client-server application, with about 80 concurrent
client licenses serving users located at 2 separate locations.

As it stands, a 4D application already has a 2-layer architecture being a
client-server application.
We could perhaps enhance it a little to make it a 2-tier environment by moving
the segregating the 4D Server software and the 4D structure files (business
logic) on to one server and the 4D data files (database) on to a separate
server.  Doing that however has no effect on the 4D database architecture, it
still remains a 2-layer database architecture.

Apart from re-developing the application into a complete web-based application,
how can a 4D application be refreshed into a 3-tier system?

I would like to tap on the collective wisdom of the forum to gather some views
on the plausibility of the above.
Thank you.

Regards,
Ronnie