I believe this is related to other topic that was discussed here, namely
that you cannot get pointer to object properties. So there is no way how to
get a pointer pointing to Form.LB.Browser.en_edit.FirstName.

As you noticed, you can still manipulate such form objects with commands
that accept object name, but there are no such commands that would allow to
get / set object value.

What you maybe could do is, for example, is to use the same object name as
is the property name, and then you could use
Form[OBJECT Get name] := newValue

but the generic method for properties like
Form.LB.Browser.en_edit.FirstName would be a bit complex.

Peter Bozek

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 4:35 AM Chris Belanger via 4D_Tech <
4d_tech@lists.4d.com> wrote:

> What a weird ’subject’ for this question. Sorry. Seems quite confusing.
>
> ————
>
> Say that the “variable or expression” for a on-screen object is
>  Form.LB.Browser.en_edit.FirstName
> This is entirely reasonable, as 4D’s ORDA has taught us to use such
> ‘expressions’ for the fields
>
> BUT in the script for this, there is no way to use Self (as there would be
> if it was a 4D variable) because it is an ATTRIBUTE of an object.
>
> This is stupid.
> It makes it impossible to write a script as simple as:
>
> Self->:= Uppercase(Self->)
>
> Because Self returns a nil pointer.
>
> So how on earth do we retrieve and set the value under these
> circumstances? [GENERICALLY; I do not want to use the object’s “expression”
> in the script]
>
> There is no such 4D method as   OBJECT Get Value( )     OBJECT SET VALUE( )
> If there were, we could write:
>
> OBJECT SET VALUE(*; OBJECT Get Name; Uppercase( OBJECT Get Value(Object
> Get Name) ) )  // really cumbersome, but is hypothetical because there is
> no ‘OBJECT GET / SET VALUE’ command.

Peter Bozek