Randy:

"If there is such an issue trying to get object values to work right,
what’s the reason to use them at all?”
The new language is extremely powerful and I found it quite easy to pick up
(mostly). The fact that it doesn’t give us 100% backward compatibility is
not unexpected.

"I know everyone is all excited about object notation, but it’s not
mandatory.  Why should we even consider using it if doesn’t do what we
need?  I’m sure there are some areas where it’s useful, but it sounds like
there’s a lot where it isn’t.  Am I missing something”
“[doing everything that] we need” is a pretty high bar, wouldn’t you agree? For
me, I’ve been using ObjectTools + constructors since the late 90’s, biding
my time for 4D to adopt objects/object notation/OOP. At this point, I’ll
take what I can get.

While I was quite not-happy with this particular limitation (I have forms
with hundreds of fields that use Object name that are used with Object get
pointer), I think the last paragraph of Miyako’s posting, above, is sound
advice - "I would focus my use of object notation to areas where classic
code could not go, not spaces already occupied by classic code."

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-910-4084