Hi Pascal,

Thank you for new draft. However I do have some comments/questions.

What benefit does the ‘M’ bit provide over simply detecting a multicast address
in the Target Address field?

The IPv6 multicast address type is clearly defined in RFC 4291 (section 2.4)
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc4291#section-2.4>, and the detection
of such an address is trivial. Most (if not all) Stacks have a simple
function/macro to do that job and many existing protocols already use this
mechanism to distinguish between unicast and multicast addresses.  It seems to
me that a special bit to indicate multicast registration would be redundant and
require handling for 4 different cases, 2 of which would be errors:

M = 1, Target = multicast addr
M = 1, Target= unicast addr  — ERROR
M = 0, Target = multicast addr — ERROR
M = 0, Target= unicast addr

I also wonder about the requirement for non-storing RPL networks to propagate
multicast membership up the DODAG. My understanding is that non-storing
networks typically use MPL (RFC 7731)
<https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7731.html>  which does not need multicast
memberships to be propagated throughout the DODAG. It uses a flooding mechanism
to forward multicast datagrams, and does not unicast at L2. Could the new
document accommodate non-storing networks using MPL?

Regards
Dario