On Thu, 24 May 2018 at 20:44, Michael Richardson <mcr+i...@sandelman.ca>
wrote:

> Mališa Vučinić <malis...@gmail.com> wrote:
>     > @Michael, @Christian
>
>     > I am re-reading RFC7252, Section 5.7.2:
>
> okay, but I'm not claiming that the Join Proxy is a CoAP Proxy by the rules
> given in 7252.

Sure it is, every attempt was made to have JP just a regular CoAP proxy
with no application code. I claim that the current text is fully compliant
with RFC7252 proxy and also takes into consideration processing rules of
OSCORE-aware proxy.

It started as just a circuit proxy (i.e. algorithm gateway), but
> we wanted it to be stateless, so we (ab)used some CoAP things to do that.
> I never intended it go into the contents of the packet, interpret CoAP in
> any
> way.

It seems we have misunderstandings on this :-)

>     >> Unless a proxy is configured to forward the proxy request to
> another proxy,
>     >> it MUST translate the request as follows: the scheme of the request
> URI
>     >> defines the outgoing protocol and its details (e.g., CoAP is used
> over UDP
>     >> for the "coap" scheme and over DTLS for the "coaps" scheme.) For a
>     >> CoAP-to-CoAP proxy, the origin server's IP address and port are
> determined
>     >> by the authority component of the request URI, and the request URI
> is
>     >> decoded and split into the Uri-Host, Uri- Port, Uri-Path and
> Uri-Query
>     >> Options. This consumes the Proxy-Uri or Proxy-Scheme option, which
> is
>     >> therefore not forwarded to the origin server.
>
> We don't use Proxy-URI or Proxy-Scheme.

Sure we do, we use Proxy-Scheme in order to keep OSCORE-aware proxy
processing to a minimum. See the section on the mappings of join protocol
messages to CoAP.