> You on the wrong portion of the problem -- the disk solution they have
> is effectively AOV (ATA over Virtio), you aren't going to do better by
> putting a virtual network driver in between.  They just have to tune
> their userspace gateway for disk access -- they put a lot of work into
> making the virtio<->tun/tap gateway really efficient and I think they
> are just using the crappy Qemu block device at the moment.  Once they
> short-out the gateway between the guest-virtio channel and the
> in-kernel block driver it'll be much faster than tunneling AOE over
> the network device to the host.

what i'm saying is boils down to 10ms + 100ns  is essentially 10ms.
so it's slower, but at a level a couple (or three) orders of magnitude too
low to be very significant.

> [...] adding extra layers for nothing.

avoiding maintaing a second interface doesn't count?  and according
to ron, the network is fast right now.  this virtual ata interface isn't.

now i'm really dreaming but ... why don't you convince the virtualizer guys
to implement aoe instead of a straight ata interface for high performance.
it would be less work for them too, and would eliminate the extra layer --
vblade.