namespaces are not public in the sense that they are visible to all
processes.

I was trying to compare UNIX to Plan 9. Apparently, UNIX processes share a single "public" namespace which therefore has to be protected by access privileges.

since this started out as a discussion of terminals, i should point out
that terminals by definition have a single user at a time.

What about the so-called "standalone" terminals (~ home computers)? My intention was to equate a single user UNIX to a Plan 9 standalone terminal. It's the same difference, I suppose.

i'm not sure what passes for unix these days, but linux at least
does not present network interfaces as block devices.  there is no
/dev/eth0.

The point is this can be done even if it hasn't been done. In case of FreeBSD, the network interfaces are represented under /dev/net. A sample installation shows this:

crw------- 1 root wheel 0, 29 Aug 21 18:02 de0
crw------- 1 root wheel 0, 70 Aug 21 18:02 lo0
crw------- 1 root wheel 0, 35 Aug 21 18:02 plip0

Does it mean network interfaces are presented as _character_ devices?

Doing "cat foo >de0" gives "Operation not supported by device."

what do you mean by this?  the VFS is a kernel interface along the general
lines of plan 9's devtab.  everything-is-a-file[server] is a general
principle.

I mean VFS is an abstraction layer that presents a file system. What it represents as a file system is rather arbitrary.

but on UNIX systems it is limited to resources that can be meaningfully
represented as file systems.

so why is the network hidden in side channels in adjunct namespaces?

I don't understand this one.