On Sun, 2009-01-04 at 07:03 +0900, sqweek wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 8:54 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <r...@sun.com> wrote:
> > Personally, though, I'd say that the usefulness of the
> > dump would be greatly improved
> > if one had an ability to do ad-hoc archival snapshots AND assigning tags,
> > not only dates to them.
>
>  Tags don't make that much sense in this context since the dump is for
> the whole filesystem, not a specific project.

Well, as Charles pointed out -- in case of Plan9 development the whole
system is the entire project.

> However, tagging a source tree can be done with a simple dircp.
> It's not as though the duplicate data costs you anything when you're
> backed by venti.

Hm. Good point. Although timing wise, I'd expect dircp to be dreadfully
slow.

Well, I guess I really got spoiled by ZFS's ability to do things like
    $ zfs snapshot pool/projects/f...@yourtextgoeshere
and especially:
    $ zfs clone pool/projects/f...@yourtextgoeshere pool/projects/branch

I'm still trying to figure out what kind of approximation of the above
would be possible with fossil/venti.

Thanks,
Roman.