> Well, I guess I really got spoiled by ZFS's ability to do things like
>    $ zfs snapshot pool/projects/f...@yourtextgoeshere

at the console type "snap". if you're allowing snaps to be mounted on
the local fs then the equivalent would be "mkdir /YourTextGoesHere;
bind /n/dump/... / /YourTextGoesHere". note that zfs restricts where
the snapshot can be mounted :p venti snapshots are, by default, read
only.

>    $ zfs clone pool/projects/f...@yourtextgoeshere pool/projects/branch

that's as simple as starting a new fossil with -f 'somehex', where
"somehex" is the score of the corresponding snap.

this gives you both read-only snapshots, and as many clones as you wish.

note that you're cheating here, and by quite a bit:

- snapshots are read only and generally unmountable (unless you go
through the effort of making them so by setting a special option,
which i'm not sure is per-snapshot)

- clones can only be created off of snapshots

- clones are read-writable but they can only be mounted within the
/pool/fs/branch hierarchy. if you want to share them you need to
explicitly adjust a lot of zfs settings such as 'sharenfs' and so on;

- none of this can be done remotely

- libzfs has an unpublished interface, so if one wants to, say, write
a 9p server to expose zfs functionality to remote hosts they must
either reverse engineer libzfs or use other means.

so, while i'm sure you enjoy zfs quite a bit, for others used to
plan9's venti/fossil way of doing things zfs can be quite a pain.