On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 19:57 -0500, erik quanstrom wrote:
> history is not a property of venti.  venti is a sparse virtual drive
> with ~2^80 bits storage.  blocks are addressed by sha1 hash of
> their content. fossil is the fileserver.  the analogy would be a change
> in fossil format.  my technique would work for fossil, too.

I see now. Its interesting to note how it seems to map the division
of labor in ZFS, where we have ZFS pools as virtual drives. Now
that I've mentioned it, I think it'll do me good to try and evaluate
fossil/venti through the lens of ZFS. I guess its not a coincedence
that ZFS actually has a built-in support for the kind of history
transfer you were implementing.

Thanks,
Roman.