On Jan 26, 2009, at 7:42 PM, erik quanstrom wrote:
On a serious note: do you guys ever edit text that
is way after the output point?

i do.  in hold mode.  that's generally how i compose
email when not using acme.

Yeah, that's about the only thing that is useful to me
as well. The rest requires too much mousing around
and in general it is quicker for me to compose the
command line anew rather than trying to edit the
bygones.

i don't think there's a really good answer (yet?)

In the in the /disgusting unix/ world, you can add readline even to the
things that don't use it:
   % socat READLINE EXEC:'ftp ftp.sun.com',pty,setsid,ctty
More on this here:
    http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/doc/socat.html#EXAMPLES

there, fixed that for ya! ☺

Nice, but I feel your sarcasm is misplaced.

let's list some of the crunchy stuff this requires
1.  dynamic linking
2.  and ron's favorite, link editing

Wrong! Mine is statically compiled ;-)

2.5 magic goo.  how does readline know what functions to steal?

Wrong! Its just all a single buffer.

3.  ttys
4.  $PATH.

What's that supposed to mean? Yeah, there's PATH on UNIX.
How horrible!

But anyway, looks like you've goofed up on 3.5 out of 4.5 ;-)

by the way, how does quoting work in that command line?
say i want the literal argument "$1<tab>" to the socatt'ed
executable.

Quoting, obviously, depends on the shell you're using. You
are welcome to use rc where the quoting patterns are much
more regular.

Thanks,
Roman.