> The update/installation process in Ubuntu sucks. If you try something
> using BSD ports or Gentoo portage, you can fine tune things and have
> explicit control over the update process.

I was specifically omitting BSD ports, as they are in a different
league.  The point I _was_ making is that one readily sacrifices
control for convenience and that Linux and Windows users and those who
assist them have to accept second-rate management and pay for it (I
should know, I can see it when XP decides to use the GPRS link for its
updating :-(

Enough reason for me to prefer Plan 9 (and NetBSD, but I can only get
my teeth into so many apples), if there weren't many more reasons.

++L