On 04/18/2009 11:36 AM, J.R. Mauro wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 1:47 AM,  <lu...@proxima.alt.za> wrote:
>>> Every time I have to use something like
>>> Linux or MS, I feel overwhelmed by the sheer complexity of it all.
>> Possibly OT, my main beef with Linux and Windows is that they keep
>> wanting to update themselves and the effort to "manage" these updates
>> is enormous (less so with Ubuntu, but still great).  With Plan 9, I
>> find I can control the updating process and do not feel I'm leaving
>> myself exposed whenever I do.  Of course, the factors involved are
>> very different, but I have a suspicion that with Windows and Linux one
>> relinquishes control at too deep a level and the continual updates are
>> a particularly visible case of this loss of control.
>>
>> ++L
>>

> The update/installation process in Ubuntu sucks. If you try something
> using BSD ports or Gentoo portage, you can fine tune things and have
> explicit control over the update process.

I don't think so, one can acquire a complete control over any common
Linux distribution, can opt for tuning and, tweaking around any package
build system, provided one has the knowledge and courage to do so.

OTOH, I hate wasting cpu cycles on compiling each and every package from
source; IMHO, building, updating and managing a FreeBSD, Gentoo and, or
other so called source or meta distribution is merely a wastage of the
man and machine hours.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman        Registered Linux User: #229709
Anu'z li...@home (Unix Shoppe)        Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192