On Aug 7, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:

X11 isn't a desktop, it tries very hard not to define a look and feel, but it has to include inter-app communications to support the supposedly desirable drag & drop as well as any copy/paste beyond plain text. In fact my big beef with dbus is that everything is all hot-all-over about dbus when it needs to be using X IPC.

My beef is that they were hot-all-over CORBA not too long ago. I expect in another three years nobody will be using D-Bus, they'll be using some new layer that sits on top of it... ad nauseam. Outside Plan 9 I don't see anyone solving two problems with one technology; instead, they're just solving one problem and introducing a new one.

—
Daniel Lyons