On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 10:34 AM, Daniel Lyons <fus...@storytotell.org>wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2009, at 7:06 AM, Ethan Grammatikidis wrote:
>
>  X11 isn't a desktop, it tries very hard not to define a look and feel, but
>> it has to include inter-app communications to support the supposedly
>> desirable drag & drop as well as any copy/paste beyond plain text. In fact
>> my big beef with dbus is that everything is all hot-all-over about dbus when
>> it needs to be using X IPC.
>>

> My beef is that they were hot-all-over CORBA not too long ago. I expect in
> another three years nobody will be using D-Bus, they'll be using some new
> layer that sits on top of it... ad nauseam. Outside Plan 9 I don't see
> anyone solving two problems with one technology; instead, they're just
> solving one problem and introducing a new one.

Yeah they were hot on CORBA, and KDE folks were doing DCOP, which was
derived from some X11 ICE thing... Neither of them was that great, and
somehow they've both come back to DBUS.

I don't honestly know the rhyme or reason for any of it.  Anyone who thought
CORBA was the answer didn't seem to understand the question.