On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Uriel<urie...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Always get p9p from hg, the tarballs have been partially broken for
> ages and

Excuse me?
Instead of keeping that to yourself why not tell me so I can fix it?
I know many people who install from the tar file, though,
so I expect you're just whining instead of checking the facts,
as usual.

> always have problems being untared in some environments

Again, details?

FreeBSD:
holo=; hget http://swtch.com/plan9port/plan9port.tgz | gunzip | tar xf -
holo=; ls -lR plan9 | awk '/^-/ {s+=$5} END{print s}'
49413465
holo=;

Linux:
c2=; gunzip < plan9port.tgz | tar xf -
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.dev'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.ino'
tar: Ignoring unknown extended header keyword `SCHILY.nlink'
c2=;  ls -lR plan9 | awk '/^-/ {s+=$5} END{print s}'
49413465
c2=;

OS X:
mini=; gunzip < plan9port.tgz | tar xf -
mini=; ls -lR plan9 | awk '/^-/ {s+=$5} END{print s}'
49342685
mini=;

The GNU tar warnings about SCHILY extensions don't count as
a problem: it's an inconsequential warning message.

The missing 70780 bytes on OS X are the files HI, HX, LH, RC, lH, and rH
from troff/font/devutf/charlib, which have been overwritten with differently
cased versions of the same files.  It doesn't matter since basically
no one uses those special characters, and you'd have the same problem
using Hg or any other file program: the bug is in the file system, not
the extractor.

I'm plenty happy for people to use hg instead of the tar files--
I think that's good advice for the people who enjoy using
version control systems--but please don't go spreading
misinformation.

Thanks.
Russ