Devon H. O'Dell<devon.od...@gmail.com> wrote:
// This is easily demonstrable with rhythm games (such as Rock
// Band or Guitar Hero) where latency induced by a home audio
// system (mine at home is about 15ms induced by my receiver
// and 5ms using the Xbox digital output) can have a very
// significant negative impact on gameplay when one plays
// primarily by sound.

It's worth noting that the differences injected by typical home
components are significant enough that, at least in all the
versions of these games I've played, the designers have built in
a way for you to calibrate the audio against the video.

// (Sound cues are easier to keep beat by than visual).

The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame has a Guitar Hero set up in the
lobby, but you need to bring your own headphones. I didn't have
any on me, so tried playing by sight only. It went really poorly.